st. mary of victories

Rosary Run called an opportunity to publicly display faith in the streets of St. Louis

Image

The early morning rain had given way to mostly sunshine and just a smattering of clouds over Downtown St. Louis.

"With all the predictions of rain, Our Lady has come through for us," remarked Father Brian Harrison as he stood in the parking lot of St. Mary of Victories Church, observing his surroundings.

St. Mary of Victories first Rosary Run is a “devotion in motion”

It's not just a run and not just a walk, but a "devotion in motion."

Mass Mob fills the pews again at historic St. Mary of Victories

Lisa Johnston | lisajohnston@archstl.org | Twitter: @aeternusphoto A "Mass Mob" descended upon St. Mary of Victories Church on Palm Sunday. Chaplain Father Brian Harrison is a member of the Oblates of Wisdom, a religious community who offers the Novus Ordo (Vatican II) Mass in Latin.

As she served donuts in the parish hall, Emma Balogh beamed as she revisualized the standing-room-only crowd at St. Mary of Victories Church.

The last time the Downtown church hosted a crowd this big was in 1974, when Cardinal József Mindszenty visited St. Louis. The late Hungarian prelate, an avid supporter of religious liberty, spoke to the people about spending years in prison for opposing communism.

Historic Downtown treasure is a feast for the senses

Lisa Johnston | lisajohnston@archstl.org | @aeternusphoto

St. Mary of Victories Church is located just south of the Gateway Arch, along Interstate 55 and the exit ramp to the Poplar Street Bridge. The parish was founded in 1843 for German immigrants and became a Hungarian church and cultural center in 1956. It is one of the few consecrated churches in the archdiocese and has hundreds of sacred relics.

St. Mary of Victories is tucked away behind a labyrinth of interstate off-ramps and old industrial buildings. It's the church you see quite literally next to I-55 (on the east side) heading north into Downtown, just before the exit ramp to Illinois.

But hidden behind the walls of the neoclassical church is a feast for the senses — a historic treasure of the archdiocese.

Syndicate content