Obituaries

Sister Claudia Ann Troia dies; was educator, library assistant

A funeral Mass was celebrated June 26 at Sacred Heart Manor in Hamden, Conn. for Sister Claudia Ann Troia, a St. Louis native who ministered 26 years as a teacher, principal and library assistant at schools in the archdiocese.

Sister Claudia Ann died June 24 at Sacred Heart Manor at age 87. Baptized Anna, she entered the Congregation of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in New Haven in 1937, professed first vows in 1940 and perpetual vows in 1946.

In St. Louis, she was principal at Our Lady of Good Counsel School in Bellefontaine Neighbors from 1956-61. She taught at St. Ambrose School in South St. Louis from 1972-79 and at Our Lady of Good Counsel from 1979-82. She then began working in the school library there. In 1988 she moved to Sacred Heart Villa in St. Louis where she worked with the children there until 1993 when she retired to Connecticut.

Three members of the SLUH community die, two others injured in plane crash

Three members of the St. Louis University High School community were killed in a June 26 plane crash in northern Arkansas, and two others were injured.

Warren Langford, his son, Brendan Langford, and Jacob Ritz were killed. Brendan and Jacob, both 15, recently completed their freshman year at SLUH. Warren Langford, 52, was an SLUH alumnus. He was piloting the single-engine plane when it crashed shortly after  takeoff from a resort in Baxter County, Ark.

Injured were Donald Beckerle, 43, and his son, Joshua Beckerle, 15. Donald Beckerle is a St. Louis University High School alumnus and his son also recently completed his freshman year at the Jesuit high school.

Sister Claire Marie Borst, medical records supervisor

Sister Claire Marie served as director of medical records at St. Mary’s Hospital and St. Mary’s Infirmary in St. Louis from 1948 until the mid-1960s. She also spent a year at St. Eugene’s Hospital in Dillon, S.C. Sister Claire Marie then supervised the medical records at St. Clare’s Hospital in Baraboo, Wis., until 1980.

Sr. Mary Patrice Murray, was educator and archivist

A funeral Mass was celebrated June 19 at Marillac Provincial House in the Central West End for Sister Mary Patrice Murray, a former teacher, principal and archivist for the Marillac Provincialate in St. Louis.

Sister Mary Patrice, 68, died June 14 in Washington, D.C., of a heart attack/stroke.

“Sister Mary Patrice was a dedicated Daughter of Charity with an Irish wit and a joyful spirit. She will always be remembered as a gifted teacher, an excellent principal and a loving friend,” a statement from the Daughters of Charity noted.

Born in San Francisco, Sister Mary Patrice entered the Daughters of Charity in 1960 and took her vows in 1965. She received a bachelor’s degree in history, education and theology from Marillac College in 1967, a master’s in religious studies from St. Louis University in 1976, a master’s in educational administration in 1980 from the University of Missouri-St. Louis and a master’s in private school administration from the University of San Francisco in 1994.

Sister Kathleen Carroll; served as music teacher

A funeral Mass was celebrated June 17 at Nazareth Living Center in South County for Sister Kathleen M. Carroll, a longtime music teacher and a member of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet for 66 years.
Sister Kathleen died June 13 at Nazareth. She was 87.

Born in St. Louis, Sister Kathleen entered the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1942. She made her final profession in 1948. In 1954, she earned a bachelor’s degree in music education from Fontbonne College. She also earned a master’s degree in music education from the University of Notre Dame in 1961.

Sister Kathleen’s first assignment was in 1945 as a music teacher at St. Joseph’s Home for Boys in St. Louis. That same year, she also became a music teacher at St. Philip Neri School.

In 1954, she went to Rosati-Kain High School in the Central West End, where she served as a music, choral and religion teacher and served in guidance. She went to Valle High School in Ste. Genevieve in 1958 to serve as a world geography and choral teacher.

Sister Esther Keeven; was elementary teacher

A memorial Mass was celebrated June 8 for Sister Esther Keeven, a longtime elementary teacher and member of the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood of O’Fallon for 67 years. The prayer service took place at the sisters’ motherhouse chapel in O’Fallon.

Sister Esther died June 4 at St. Mary’s Institute in O’Fallon. She was 86.

Born in Florissant, Sister Esther entered the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood in 1939. She professed her first vows in 1942 and made her final profession in 1945. As a novice, she received the name Sister Mary Robert, but then returned to her baptismal name after the Second Vatican Council.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Quincy College in Quincy, Ill., in 1967.

Sister Esther was an elementary teacher for many years. In the Archdiocese of St. Louis, she taught at St. John the Baptist in St. Louis, St. Clement of Rome in Des Peres, St. Anthony of Padua in High Ridge, Holy Family in St. Louis, St. Monica in Creve Coeur, Most Sacred Heart in Florissant and Holy Innocents in St. Louis. She also taught at Ford School in St. Louis.

Syndicate content