Obituaries

Sister Mildred (Mary Pierre) Ellebrach, CPPS

A funeral Mass was celebrated May 30 at St. Joseph Chapel at the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood Motherhouse in O’Fallon for Sister Mildred (Mary Pierre) Ellebracht, who taught for 20 years at Cardinal Glennon College and was noted for her work in the liturgical movement.

Sister Mildred, 93, died May 26 at St. Joseph Hospital West in Lake St. Louis after being diagnosed with pneumonia.

Born in Bridgeton, Sister Mildred attended Sacred Heart School in Florissant and then entered the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood. As a novice she received the name Sister Mary Pierre but in her later years returned to her baptismal name, Mildred.

She professed her vows in 1936. She earned a bachelor’s degree in Latin from St. Louis University; a master’s degree in Latin and a minor in Greek from the Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; a master’s degree in Scripture and theology from St. Mary’s College in Notre Dame, Ind.; and a doctorate in Latin and liturgy from the Catholic University of Holland at Nijmegen in the Netherlands.

Floyd Hacker, 81; former teacher, coach and first lay principal at archdiocese high school

Called “Mr. DuBourg” by many, Mr. Hacker was known for wearing his trademark bow ties and suspenders.

He was one of the founding members of DuBourg when it opened at Jefferson Barracks military post in September 1950. He was the only lay teacher on staff when the school opened.

When the school moved to its current location on Eichelberger Street in 1954, Mr. Hacker served as a social studies and physical education teacher and coach.

Br. Paul Novosal, 90; was Marianist brother for 70 years

A funeral Mass was celebrated May 28 for Marianist Brother Paul Novosal at the Marianist Residence in San Antonio, Texas.

Brother Paul, a St. Louis native and a Marianist brother for 70 years, died May 24 in San Antonio. He was 90.

He attended St. George School in Affton and, for a year, Cathedral Latin High School in St. Louis. After his sophomore year, he transferred to Southside Catholic (now St. Mary’s) High School in South St. Louis and graduated in 1936.

During his years at Southside Catholic, he was taught by several Marianist brothers, including Brother James Powers, SM, who encouraged him to join the order.

Sr. N. E. Deutsch; educator, health care worker

Because of poor health and a leg amputation following an accident, Sister Liz left the teaching ministry and became involved in health care. In 1973, she was named superior of St. Joseph Health Center in Kansas City. In 1977, she became an emergency room and ICU counselor at St. Joseph.

In 1982, Sister Liz returned to St. Louis, where she served as the congregational archivist and U.S. Federation archivist for the sisters’ generalate. She held the position for a decade. From 1992-1996, she served as an assistant province director for the provincialate in St. Louis.

Sister Hartke; served as educator, housekeeper

A funeral Mass was celebrated May 27 for Sister Claritus Hartke in the School Sisters of Notre Dame Motherhouse Chapel in Lemay.

Sister Claritus, a former educator and convent housekeeper,  died May 22 at Anna House-the Sarah Community in Bridgeton from congestive heart failure. She was 92.

An Illinois native, she entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1934. She professed first vows in 1937 and final vows in 1943.

From 1935-51, Sister Claritus was housekeeper for parish convents in Hannibal and Scott City, Mo., and in Illinois, Louisiana and Arkansas.

Brother Francis Haug; teacher and school administrator

A funeral Mass was celebrated May 25 at St. John Vianney High School’s chapel in Kirkwood for Marianist Brother Francis Haug, who taught and served as an administrator at several high schools in the St. Louis Archdiocese.

Brother Francis, 85, died May 21 in St. Louis.

A native St. Louisan, he entered the postulate of the Society of Mary at Maryhurst in Kirkwood in 1940 and then the novitiate in Galesville, Wis., in 1941. He professed first vows in 1942 and perpetual vows in 1947.

Brother Francis earned a bachelor’s degree in education in 1944 from the University of Dayton in Ohio and a master’s degree in English in 1955 from the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.

Syndicate content