Follow these tips for a safe hike
Folks enjoying a vacation at Eagle Hurst Ranch can venture away from the resort for a day to enjoy hiking in nearby sections of the Ozark Trail and the Mark Twain National Forest.
But, as the Boy Scouts caution, be prepared. Even a hike of an hour or two requires a little preparation, even if nothing more than good, sturdy shoes and a bottle of water.
The helpful people at the Ozark Trail Association offer these helpful hints make your outdoor experience go smoothly.
Here is a top 10 guide of essential gear for hiking. What you choose will depend in part on the length of your trip, the number in your party, the season and your experience level.
- Food — Take lightweight, high-energy snacks and food. Granola bars, candy bars, cheese sticks, tortillas and jerky work well for quick day hikes.
- First aid kit — moleskin for blisters, adhesive bandages, gauze pads, adhesive tape, disinfecting ointment and disinfectant wipes, an elastic bandage, tweezers and pain reliever
- Map and compass
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and insect repellent
- Emergency fire starter and waterproof matches
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Whistle — one for each member of your party
- Rain gear
- Knife or multi-tool
In addition to these top 10 essentials, make sure to give your hiking plans to someone outside your party. Tell them where you’re going, when you expect to be back and who to call if you don’t return.
For detailed maps of the Ozark Trail, go online to ozarktrail.com.
For information on Mark Twain National Forest, go online to fs.usda.gov and go to the Missouri listing under “state.”
- Vacation & Mass Guide | Mount Rushmore is really the tip of the iceberg
- Eagle Hurst Ranch is a great vacation destination
- Annapolis has history, especially at little-known church linked to Catholic revolutionary patriot
- Women's retreat is annual highlight at Eagle Hurst Ranch
- Pope says don't take a vacation from helping others
- News »
- Papal News
- Religious Liberty
- Living Our Faith »
- Church Teaching »
- Opinion »
- Year of Faith
- Special Sections »